Tuesday, December 17, 2013

25 Days of Christmas, 8 Days until Christmas, Snowman, Santa Glove, and Coaster Crafts Just in Time for Christmas...

Hello Everyone! It has been a few days, but I have 3 Christmas Crafts that are Easy, Cheap, Fun, and Quick to do. If you need any last minute crafts that you want to do for relatives, especially if you have children, these would be really cute to do! :)

Here is the Snowman that has taken me like a week to get posted. *laugh out loud* I used my cricut for this snow man, but really you can make it without it, I just like even circles.

If you have a cricut: The bottom circle is a 5 setting.
The second circle is a 4 setting. And the top circle is a 3 setting. (That's how many inches they are)

The hat I cut out on my own with black construction paper, and I outlined it with glitter.

The scarf was cut out of red construction paper and outlined with glitter. 

And the arms were cut out with brown construction paper (and I did them in the shape of tree limbs)

The smile was done with black pen in dots. And of course I used pom poms for the hat, face, and buttons of the snowman. 
Brown pom poms for the eyes. Orange for the nose. I did not have black pom poms, so I used navy blue. And the hat has of course, two green and one red pom pom. 

I used a "glue pen" to glue everything together except for the pom poms which I used glue dots, because they held on better. The glitter pen only took 10 minutes to dry :)

I also hole punched the top of the hat, and put ribbon around it so that it can be used as an ornament, or just to hang.

Here is another VERY QUICK, and simple craft you can do! I traced Christopher's thumb and the "cluster" of his fingers to make a santa glove. So the glove in itself is the size of his hand, and a nice memorable keepsake.

I used red construction paper for that. 

I cut out white construction paper with a little "design" and used a glue pen and attached it on top of the red glove. I used a glitter pen for some decoration and to separate the white and red.

I cut out two black circles, and glue dotted white pom poms. You also could glue buttons down.

I punched a hole in the top and tied some yarn, perfect for an ornament. 



Pictures are always a great gift for Christmas, but sometimes the wall runs out of room for frames! 

Instead of ordering these, I made them myself (well actually I had help from my husband) and they weren't horribly difficult to do. 

These are photo coasters! 

SUPPLIES: Felt (we used black because it's a "neutral" color.

Scissors (for the felt) & pictures if they're not sized correctly.
Tile: Any size, I did 4 X 4 (and Chris cut them to that size)

Mod Podge: To glue the photos, and to also add a shine.

Clear Acrylic Coating: To act as a protect-ant, and for shine.

Tacky Glue: To glue the felt to the back of the tile.

Okay... so I printed 4 X 6 photos, and I had tile that was 4 X 4 so I had to measure and cut my photos to size so that they would fit, however; If you have an instagram, and want to use those photos, they will fit perfectly when printed out, no measuring required.

I also had to trim the felt when it was glued so that it would be even.

I mod podged the tile, and placed the photo on it and let it dry. After that I modpodged on top of the photo with a foam brush in even coats. It dries clear.

I sprayed a clear acrylic coating so that when people use them for a drink it will protect the photo underneath.

COST: We got our tiles on clearance at Lowes for 18c a piece (we bought 25). 
The photos cost about .09c to print each (but it depends where you go)
Mod Podge for a medium bottle costs about 2.98 at Michaels, but you can use a coupon on it.
The Acrylic Coating (we didn't pay for because my MIL had some) usually costs about $6 at Michaels (but again, you can use a coupon on it)
The foam brushes are usually on sale for 20/$1 at Michaels (which is when I usually stock up)
Felt: I got a big piece of felt at Michaels cost about $1.99
Tacky Glue: $3.98 at Michaels but you can use a coupon.

So approximately: $22.70 without coupons, and tax. Or .91c for each tile to make. which is EXTREMELY cheap, considering shutterfly charges quite a lot for these coasters.

So these are the crafts for the day.

I'll come back tomorrow with my Christmas List! :)

-Mel

1 comment:

  1. The photo coasters seem like a really good idea. :) And I do agree with black being a neutral color, and it's nice for any time of year. Would you recommend washing them with other dishes, or I guess just cleaning them with a washcloth if it's felt material? Or even cleaning them at all... if they are used for holding a beverage? Your thoughts?

    Frosty the snowman...

    ReplyDelete